All central heating systems must have a magnetic system filter to collect magnetite and debris, which is annually removed during the boiler service. Many heating systems on the Isle of Man do not have this and should have one to protect the system from costly boiler repairs and a build up of sludge inside the system causing blockages and cold spots.
If the central heating system is not maintained it may need a power flush. For more information on power flushing for the Isle of Man click here
Need repairs on the central heating in your home? … – Contact us here to book an appointment
Many households in the Isle of Man have mains gas central heating. Gas central heating is a so-called ‘wet system’, which means a gas-fired boiler heats water to provide central heating through radiators and hot water through the taps in your home. Some houses that aren’t connected to the gas network can use electrical heating, liquid petroleum gas (LPG) or heating oil, which work in a similar way to gas central heating. LPG and oil are delivered by road and stored in a tank, which you may have to buy or rent from your supplier.
Choosing the best gas boiler …
Choosing the best gas boiler Buying an efficient, reliable boiler will give you both peace of mind and lower heating bills.
Compared with an old G-rated gas boiler, you could save £652 per year on heating with a modern A-rated condensing boiler. But not all boiler brands are equal. Buying a new gas boiler can cost between £500 and £3,000 (not including installation), so it’s a very expensive decision to get wrong.
Pros and cons of gas central heating
- Installation costs are much cheaper than oil or air source heat pumps.
- Comapred to oil installations there is no need for an unsightly oil tank in the garden.
- A gas boiler can be retro fitted to an old system which can not be done with air source heat pumps.
- Modern condensing boilers are very efficient (some more than 90%), so you get a good return on every unit of energy.
- Replacing a standard gas boiler with a very efficient modern condensing boiler is quite straightforward.
- You don’t need to store gas, as it’s piped directly to your home.
- Gas is a fossil fuel, which produces carbon dioxide when it’s burned. So it’s not a clean source of energy.
- The Isle of Man isn’t self-sufficient for gas so prices are impacted by demand around the world.
- If you’re not on the gas network, connecting your property can also be costly.
- Gas boilers should be serviced every year to keep them running efficiently and last as long as possible.
Need advice on central heating in your home? … – Contact us here to book an appointment